For any emergency situation, our immediate response action would be one or more of the following:
- Take Cover: students and staff stay in the building and get in a protected position under a table or desk, away from windows or anything that could fall and injure.
- Shelter-In-Place: keep students and staff inside the building but allows for free movement within building.
- Lock Down: keep students and staff in designated locations inside the building; lock classroom doors where possible; stay out of hallways, open areas; may lock only outside doors in some cases.
- Evacuate Building: take students outside the building, but within close proximity to site.
- Off-Site Evacuation: take students outside building to an Alternate Site.
- Early Dismissal: if there is enough time for buses to run and parents to come pick up students safely, this option may be utilized.
Factors which determine which of these responses is used depends on the lead time before the incident and the location and nature of the incident. These immediate response actions are practiced with students on an ongoing basis.